Rig Vedic Period - Timeline
Rig Vedic Period - Political Organization
- Kula - Grama - Vis - Jana
- Kulapa - Gramini - Vishayapati - Rajana
- Two important bodies :
- Sabha - Council of elders and advised the king on administration
- Samiti - A general assembly, included common people
Rig Vedic Period - Society
- Rig Vedic society was patriarchal
- Monogamy was prevalent whereas polygamy was also practiced among the royal and noble families.
- Women were provided with equal opportunities as men for their spiritual and intellectual development.
- The practices of child marriage and sati were absent.
- Soma and Sura(intoxicating) were the two popular liquors.
- Chariot racing, horse racing, dicing, music and dance were the favourite pastimes.
- The social divisions were not rigid during the Rig Vedic period as it was based on occupation
Rig Vedic Period - Religion
Rig Vedic Period - Economic Condition
- Rig Vedic Aryans were primarily pastoral people
- Wealth was estimated in terms of cattle as cattle was synonymous with wealth.
- The economy was based upon agriculture.
- Workers in metal made a variety of articles with copper (was known as ‘Ayas’), bronze and iron ( was known as Krishna Ayas).
- Spinning and pottery were another important occupation.
- Gold was known as ‘Hiranya’.
- Trade was an important economic activity which was conducted through the barter system.
- Gold coins known as ‘Nishka’ were also used as a medium of exchange.