Build Your Basics
Free Mock Tests
Who are NRIs ?
Non resident Indians(NRIs) are the Indian citizens who are temporarily living abroad. They are the integral part of vibrant Indian Diaspora.
Government of India has specified two conditions for a person to be designated as Non resident Indian(NRI). If a person satisfies either of the two conditions, He is considered as a NRI.
- If an Indian citizen residing outside India for a total of at least 183 days in a financial year.
- If an Indian citizen resides in India for less than 365 days during the past 4 years preceding the current year and less than 60 days in the current year.
Important points you should know about the Non resident Indians are :
- NRIs are the Citizen of India. They enjoy the same voting rights as normal Indian citizens.
- NRIs are required to pay the income tax on their Indian income like the normal resident Indians.
- NRIs hold an Indian Passport.
- If a NRI wishes to take up foreign citizenship, he/she will have to give up the Indian citizenship.